Since my last speaker’s update, two of my conferences are in the books, one is upcoming in just a couple of weeks (!!!), and a couple of potential new conferences may be upcoming for me.
First, I’ll talk about the two conferences I did.
- Data Saturday #13, Minnesota: I spoke for this group last year, and it went very well! As virtual conferences go, the Minnesota SQL group does a great job of putting their event together! This year’s conference was no different! A number of tools that they had used last year were also in effect this year (I was happy to see that the Discord account I created primarily for this event still worked!), and it made for a great online conference! Only my personal schedule (I had football tickets for the night before) really kept me from taking full advantage of all this event had to offer. That said, as virtual conferences go, I recommend this one highly!
- Rocket Mortgage TechCon 2021: When I tried to advertise this event, I found that I had trouble finding a link to allow people to register for it. As it turned out, it was for a good reason: it was a private internal event for Rocket Mortgage employees. Oops! In any case, I delivered my presentation and discovered a very receptive audience! I got a lot of good questions and plenty of interaction (which was somewhat difficult, because people couldn’t message me directly; the only way I was able to read people’s comments was to turn off my slide sharing). And as a result of my presentation, I now have several LinkedIn connections to Rocket Mortgage employees.
With that, here are the upcoming conferences where I’m speaking or have applied.
In two weeks, I will be speaking at PASS Data Community Summit! This is the third consecutive year that I am speaking at PASS Summit or its equivalent! Just being selected to speak at one is an honor, but being selected to speak at three straight is nothing short of amazing!
This year’s Summit is virtual and free to attend (although there is a fee to attend pre-con sessions). All you need to do is to go to the PASS Data Community Summit website and register!
I will be doing my session on joblessness and unemployment titled: “I lost my job! Now what?!?” I will share advice on how to survive a jobless situation, including (but not limited to) dealing with the stress and emotions of unemployment, how to shore up your job search and interview skills, and things you can do to pass the time.
I am scheduled to speak on Thursday, November 11, at 9:30 am Eastern time. Hope to see you then!
Submitted, but not confirmed
I’ve submitted presentations to two events, each of which would be a new one for me if I’m accepted to speak! Please note that I have only submitted to them, but I don’t yet know whether I’m speaking at them or not.
- April 8-9: WE Local, Buffalo, NY: I discovered this event on a Facebook group that I’m in, and decided to submit to it!
- May 15-18: STC Summit, Chicago, IL: I am a member of STC, and would dearly love to attend STC Summit!
These events are NOT virtual; they are in-person! If I am accepted to any of these events, they would be my first live in-person events since SQL Saturday in Rochester last year!
In addition to these two events, there’s also my local user group:
- CASSUG user group, Albany, NY: This is my local SQL user group. It’s been a while since I spoke for my hometown user group, and I think I’m due. I’m hoping to get to speak at one of our meetings!
So as of today, this is my upcoming presentation schedule. Hope to see you at an event sometime soon!