I enjoy attending sporting events. My previous post got me thinking about the sports venues that I’ve visited, and I thought it’d be fun to compile that list!
A few caveats: I only list venues (along with their home teams and/or events) in which I’ve actually seen a game. For example, I’ve set foot in Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, but I didn’t actually see a game there, so it’s not on my list.
I don’t list opposing teams. I’ve been to so many events that I don’t remember them all. Also, for “home” arenas in which I’ve seen large numbers of games, they’d be too many to list, anyway.
I also denote any arenas that are homes to “my teams.” While I live two hours away from Syracuse, I still consider the Carrier Dome as my “home” arena. Geographically, Siena and UAlbany are only minutes away from me, and I do root for the home team in those arenas, but they’re not necessarily “my” teams or home arenas.
I only consider organized professional (major or minor league) and NCAA (any division) teams or events. Organized non-professional or collegiate events (e.g. Little League World Series, Olympic games, etc.) count too, although I’ve never been to one. The pickup game of touch football in the public park doesn’t count.
These are listed in no particular order, although I try to list my “home” arenas, places I’ve visited more often, and places geographically close to me first.
I mark arenas that either no longer exist or are no longer used for that sport with an asterisk (*).
All games are regular season games, unless denoted.
I have never been to an NBA, NHL, or major soccer game, which is why you don’t see them listed.
So without further ado, here’s that list.
Arenas I’ve visited
- Yankee Stadium (new), Bronx, NY — NY Yankees (my home arena), ALDS
- Yankee Stadium* (old), Bronx, NY — NY Yankees (former home arena)
- Joseph Bruno Stadium, Troy, NY — Tri-City ValleyCats (another home arena), NCAA Div-III tournament regional
- Heritage Park*, Colonie, NY — Albany-Colonie Yankees (former home arena), Albany-Colonie Diamond Dogs
- Robison Field, Troy, NY — RPI Engineers (my home field)
- Fenway Park, Boston, MA — Boston Red Sox
- Shea Stadium*, Queens, NY — NY Mets
- Citi Field, Queens, NY — NY Mets
- Kingdome*, Seattle, WA — Seattle Mariners
- Safeco Field (now T-Mobile Park), Seattle WA — Seattle Mariners
- Camden Yards, Baltimore, MD — Baltimore Orioles, All-Star Game
- SkyDome (now Rogers Centre), Toronto, ON — Toronto Blue Jays
- MacArthur Stadium*, Syracuse, NY — Syracuse Chiefs
- Alliance Bank Stadium (now NBT Stadium), Syracuse, NY — Syracuse Chiefs
- Olympic Stadium*, Montreal, PQ — Montreal Expos
- Veterans Stadium*, Philadelphia, PA — Philadelphia Phillies
- Tiger Stadium*, Detroit, MI — Detroit Tigers
- Coors Field, Denver, CO — Colorado Rockies
- Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL — Tampa Bay Rays
- Damaschke Field*, Oneonta, NY — Oneonta Yankees
- East Field*, Glens Falls, NY — Glens Falls Redbirds, Adirondack Lumberjacks
- Stade Canac, Quebec City, PQ — Quebec Capitales
- Dwyer Stadium, Batavia, NY — Batavia Trojans
- Silver Stadium*, Rochester, NY — Rochester Red Wings
Places where I’ve never seen a game, but are on my wish list: Wrigley Field, Chicago; Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles; Oracle Park, San Francisco; Kaufmann Stadium, Kansas City; Petco Park, San Diego; Nationals Field, Washington DC; PNC Park, Pittsburgh; any Nippon Professional League game in Japan
- Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY — Syracuse Orange (my home arena)
- ECAV Stadium, Troy, NY — RPI Engineers (my other home arena)
- ’86 Field*, Troy, NY — RPI Engineers (another home “arena”)
- Bob Ford Field, Albany, NY — UAlbany Great Danes
- Alumni Stadium, Chestnut Hill, MA — Boston College Eagles
- Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Annapolis, MD — Navy Midshipmen
- Michie Stadium, West Point, NY — Army Black Knights
- Veterans Stadium*, Philadelphia, PA — Temple Owls
- Yale Bowl, New Haven, CT — Yale Bulldogs
- Met Life Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ — Syracuse Orange (NOT my home arena!)
- Giants Stadium*, East Rutherford, NJ — Syracuse Orange (also not my home arena!)
- Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH — Ohio State Buckeyes
- Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, LA — Sugar Bowl
- Pontiac Silverdome*, Pontiac, MI — Cherry Bowl
- Tampa Stadium*, Tampa, FL — Hall of Fame Bowl
- Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ — Fiesta Bowl
- Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY — Pinstripe Bowl
- Camping World Stadium, Orlando, FL — Camping World Bowl
- Jacksonville Municipal Stadium (now TIAA Field), Jacksonville, FL — Gator Bowl
- Fenway Park, Boston, MA — Fenway Gridiron Classic
Places where I’ve never seen a game, but are on my wish list: Harvard Stadium, Harvard; Memorial Stadium, Clemson; Beaver Stadium, Penn State; Rose Bowl, UCLA; Michigan Stadium, Michigan; Notre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame
- Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY — Syracuse Orange (my home arena), NCAA tournament
- Manley Field House*, Syracuse, NY — Syracuse Orange (women)
- RPI Armory*, Troy, NY — RPI Engineers (my other home arena)
- Times-Union Center, Albany, NY — Siena Saints, MAAC tournament
- Alumni Recreation Center*, Loudonville, NY — Siena Saints
- SEFCU Arena, Albany, NY — UAlbany Great Danes, America East tournament
- Pittsburgh Civic Arena*, Pittsburgh, PA — Pitt Panthers
- Lundholm Gymnasium, Durham, NH — UNH Wildcats
- Case Gym, Boston, MA — Boston University Terriers
- Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome*, Minneapolis, MN — NCAA tournament
- Reunion Arena*, Dallas, TX — NCAA tournament
- Madison Square Garden, New York, NY — St. John’s Red Storm, Big East Tournament, NIT Preseason Tournament
- Barclays Arena, Brooklyn, NY — preseason tournament
Places where I’ve never seen a game, but are on my wish list: The Palestra, Penn; Allen Field House, Kansas; Pauley Pavilion, UCLA; Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke
RPI has a new arena: ECAV (East Campus Athletic Village) Arena. I have yet to see a game there.
- Houston Field House, Troy, NY — RPI Engineers (my home arena)
- Messa Rink, Schenectady, NY — Union Dutchmen
- Times-Union Center, Albany, NY — Mayor’s Cup/Capital Skate Classic, NCAA tournament
- Glens Falls Civic Center*, Glens Falls, NY — Mayor’s Cup/Capital Skate Classic
- Lynah Rink, Ithaca, NY — Cornell Big Red
- Starr Rink, Hamilton, NY — Colgate Raiders
- Tate Rink, West Point, NY — Army Black Knights
- Bright Hockey Center, Cambridge, MA — Harvard Crimson
- Yale Ice Arena, New Haven, CT — Yale Bulldogs
- Thompson Arena, Hanover, NH — Dartmouth Big Green
- Olympic Ice Arena, Lake Placid, NY — ECAC tournament
- Walter Brown Arena*, Boston, MA — Boston University Terriers
- Cumberland County Civic Center (now Cross Insurance Arena), Portland, ME — Maine Black Bears
- Hartford Civic Center (now XL Center), Hartford, CT — I don’t remember the event, but it was four teams: RPI, Maine, Colgate, and I don’t remember who the fourth team was.
- Madison Square Garden, New York, NY — Rivalry On Ice (Yale vs. Harvard)
Places where I’ve never seen a game, but are on my wish list: Alfond Arena, Maine; Hobey Baker Rink, Princeton; Matthews Arena, Northeastern
- Times-Union Center*, Albany, NY — Albany River Rats, Albany Devils
- Giants Stadium*, East Rutherford, NJ — NY Giants (my home arena)
- Rich Stadium (now New Era Field), Orchard Park, NY — Buffalo Bills
- Sullivan Stadium*, Foxborough, MA — New England Patriots
- Veterans Stadium*, Philadelphia, PA — Philadelphia Eagles
Although I’ve been to Met Life Stadium, it was for a Syracuse game. I have yet to see the Giants there.
- Landsdowne Stadium*, Ottawa, ON — Ottawa Roughriders
- Times-Union Center*, Albany, NY — Albany Firebirds
Wow, I’ve attended a lot of sporting events!
Anyway, this was a fun exercise, and a neat list to put together. I’m hoping to add to it!