I’m just some guy living in upstate New York who’s sharing his thoughts with the rest of the world. I’ve worked in various positions in technology since 1989, discovered that I have a knack for writing and communication, and presented my first SQL Saturday presentation in 2015. It was there that I realized that my thoughts and opinions could actually be helpful and useful to other people.
I’m also a musician (and am available for hire). I started playing the piano when I was 7, the clarinet when I was 8, and I picked up the saxophone and mallet percussion when I was in high school. I’m also a songwriter; click here to give my demos a listen!
So kick back, grab a cup of coffee, and feel free to contemplate (or scrutinize) my thoughts.
For those who are curious, a little more about me . . .
- I’ve been working in various technological positions since 1989, starting out as a lowly computer operator, and working as an analyst, technical writer, web developer, adjunct instructor, and software developer along the way.
- I am an active participant with CASSUG (Capital Area SQL Server User Group) and Albany UX user groups.
- I speak at SQL Saturday events around the northeastern United States (and maybe farther, if my budget and schedule allows it). My presentations are usually listed under the Professional Development track, and are focused around documentation and technical/professional communication.
- I have an MS in technical communication from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and a BS in computer science from Syracuse University.
- I live in the Capital District region (Albany-Schenectady-Troy) of New York State with my wife and our two cats.
- I grew up in the Hudson Valley/Catskills region.
- I am an alumni brother of Kappa Kappa Psi, the national honorary band fraternity.
- I play the piano, clarinet, mallet percussion, and saxophone.
- I am a clarinetist and a part-time/backup percussionist with the Memorial Concert Band of Colonie.
- I am a piano accompanist for a contemporary choir with a Catholic church in Latham (I, myself, am not Catholic — go figure), and a clarinetist for a woodwind quintet in Delmar.
- I am an active CrossFitter.
- I am a sports fan. I follow baseball and college sports (primarily football, basketball, and ice hockey). My teams are the Syracuse Orange, RPI Engineers, and NY Yankees. (I am generally a New York sports fan — I’ll root for the Giants, NYCFC, Knicks, and Rangers, but I am not as passionate about those teams as I am the others.)
If you want to know more, check out my LinkedIn profile.